This consists of three levels: Adult and Baby; Adult and Toddler; and Adult and Child, the earlier you introduce your child to water the more confident he/she will become.
The Early Years programme is designed to introduce you and your child to the water in a fun way making it exciting and enjoyable for you both. It will provide you as a parent with conﬁdence and skills to help teach your child to swim.
Adult & Baby
To introduce the adult and baby to a swimming environment and develop the confidence and skills of the adult to ensure the safe and effective handling of the baby in the water.
- The adult will have the range of skills and knowledge necessary to handle their baby confidently and safely in the water
- The ‘quality time’ aspect will be a key element of the adult and baby aquatic experience
- Adult and baby will have experienced basic body positions and a range of movements in water
- Adult and baby will have developed water confidence and enjoyment in the aquatic environment
Adult & Toddler
To encourage independent movement and develop the water confidence and core aquatic skills of the toddler through structured play.
- The toddler will have been involved in interaction with other adults and children
- The toddler will have experienced independent movement with buoyancy aids
- The toddler will have developed some basic core aquatic skills through structured play focusing on enjoyment, fun and self-discovery
- The toddler will have developed greater water confidence
Adult & Child
To further develop the core aquatic skills through structured play and develop the independence necessary for the next level (without an adult in the water).
- The child will demonstrate independent movement and a range of core aquatic skills
- The child will have developed confident submersion and aquatic breathing
- The child will have been involved in interaction with other adults and children
- The child will be become more attentive to the teacher’s instruction
and less reliant on adult support in preparation for the next level