Mark your calendars! National Fitness Day 2023 will be held on the Wednesday 20th of September. It's a nationwide event that encourages people across the country to celebrate the vital role physical activity plays in assisting us to lead happier and healthier lifestyles.
How can being active improve health and wellbeing?
Stress has become an all-too-common companion in today's fast-paced and demanding world. The detrimental effects of stress on our physical and mental wellbeing are well-documented. Thankfully, science has shown that exercise, particularly activities that induce sweat, can effectively alleviate stress.
Here are six enjoyable activities to sweat your stress away!
- Aerobic Exercises like running or cycling have been proven to reduce anxiety and enhance mood. Just 30 minutes of these exercises can trigger the release of endorphins – your body's natural stress relievers. Our upgraded studios at Michael Woods Sports and Leisure Centre and Kirkcaldy Leisure Centre host invigorating aerobic classes designed to energise your body and mind.
- High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is gaining popularity due to its stress-busting benefits. These workouts, involving short bursts of intense activity followed by brief rests, can uplift your overall mood and lessen stress. We've added 27 new sessions to our group fitness programme. Whether you are a beginner or a fitness enthusiast, there's something for everyone!
- Yoga can aid in stress reduction, specifically when combined with mindfulness techniques. Yoga encourages deep breathing and physical postures that promote relaxation, reducing cortisol levels, a stress-related hormone. Book a class today and embark on a mental and physical rejuvenation journey.
- Team Sports help build social connections but also enhance mental wellbeing. Physical activity combined with social interaction has been scientifically proven to reduce stress and elevate mood. Explore the array of clubs available at our venues - it's an open invitation to join in and experience the benefits!
- Swimming not only provides a full-body workout but is also an excellent stressbuster. Water's rhythmic movements and soothing effects offer a calming environment that can reduce anxiety and stress. Dive into our water-based classes suitable for all fitness levels, offering joint support for those with injuries or chronic conditions.
- Strength Training can combat stress. Lifting weights and resistance training have been found to increase serotonin levels, a neurotransmitter responsible for regulating mood. At Fife Sports and Leisure Trust, we offer each gym-goer a chance to undergo a member journey and free consultation with our qualified gym instructors.
#YourHealthIsForLife! By integrating physical activities into your daily routine, you're actively shaping your physical and mental wellbeing and sweating away stress.
Remember, new members can enjoy their first month for just £10 by signing up between the 18th of September and the 1st of October at any Fife Sports and Leisure Trust venue. So, tie those shoelaces, roll out that yoga mat, don your swimsuit, and make your way to the nearest venue.
Click here for more details about classes, schedules, and bookings.
Get Active and Join in!
Join the conversation on socials, share how you are celebrating National Fitness Day. Remember to tag Fife Sports and Leisure Trust so that we can join your journey to a happier, healthier you.